Monday, July 30, 2012

Tofu Smoothies and Why am I doing this to myself.

If you like berries and chocolate together - you'll probably love this breakfast.  It's super easy, cheap, and healthy.  Plus, it makes more than two servings, and keeps well in the fridge, so you have a snack, or tomorrow's breakfast, ready to go.

I know the tofu thing sounds crazy, but the other ingredients cover up any tofu taste (not like there's much taste to cover up anyway), and the tofu gives it a creamy consistency.  Plus tofu is super healthy - lots of protein to start your day right.

This recipe is gluten free and vegan.

1 16-oz package of soft tofu - including the water in it (this costs about a dollar at the Asian market)
1 bag frozen strawberries (I used a small bag from the dollar store, plus some extra frozen blueberries we had in the freezer)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Honey to taste

You might need more liquid.  I only had firm tofu, so I had to add about half a can of coconut milk.  But you can use whatever milk you have on hand.  Modify it to suit your own needs and desires!

In the past, I made a chocolate peanut butter one with:

1 package tofu
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup peanut butter
sugar to taste (now I would recommend honey)

Matt said it was the best protein shake he had ever had.

I made the strawberry chocolate smoothie a couple days ago before I thought to blog, so here's the empty blender (notice, the smoothie is a purple color).  Next recipe, I promise to photograph the process for you all.


Now the segment about why I'm doing this blog.  Last year was crazy enough - why complicate matters?  Well, just because I'm in school, doesn't mean I'm going to stop cooking, by any means.  But blogging might help keep me in check because I will try to blog every time I cook (so that will definitely cut down on the cooking happenings).
Also, cooking helps me keep my sanity, and I love sharing my ideas, so voila.  Here we are.

And this may seem crazy, but I see similarities between the practice of law and my style of cooking.  In the law, you have your statutes, cases, procedure, and client.  You use the ingredients you have to provide the client with the best legal services possible.  In cooking, for me, there are always restrictions - either I don't have the ingredients, or I'm trying to operate within a theme (like Caribbean), or I'm taking a break from certain foods (like grains).  Gotta get creative with what I have to make something delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Whispering Sister! This blog reminds me of the girl in Stranger than Fiction. She quit Harvard Law School to become the baker. Ponder this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I will keep that in mind! This can be my backup plan :)

      Delete
  2. Just make sure that Matt brings you lots of "flours" :)

    ReplyDelete