Sunday, June 30, 2013

Zatar Eggplant and Kale

Before I decided to do more raw foods this summer, I first decided to cook on a budget.  So far, there are wins and loses in that department, but this recipe was a win.  Growing up, my mom would make Zatar Chicken, with sauteed onions and chicken (it was the only form of onions I cared to eat), cooked with zatar and lemon and served over rice.

I have come to simply adore the combination of kale and eggplant.  When those two vegetables are cooking (with onion and garlic), the smell is simply heavenly.  Add this spice of my people, and we have an excellent vegetarian, budget-friendly, and super healthy and delicious dish.  Added to rice, the mixture goes a long way (Matt and I ate it for lunches most of the week).

Ingredients:

-3 tbsp vegetable oil (and olive oil to be added later, at your discretion, but try not to do the initial cooking with olive oil, as it can burn)
-1 yellow onion, sliced (cut in half, then halve the half, then slice)
-1 eggplant (skin on), chopped into bite-size pieces
     Note: The easiest way for me is to cut it lengthwise from just below the stem to the end, three approximately even cuts with one side up, then rotate and make another 3 cuts to make a cross hatch pattern so that it stays attached at the stem; then chop it widthwise.  I will add pictures the next time I use this technique.
-1 bunch kale, chopped into bite-size pieces (stems too)
-2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
-3 tbsp lemon juice (or more, if you prefer)
-2-3 tbsp zatar (a middle eastern spice found at ethnic grocery stores, though the regular grocery store might have it too)
-1 tsp salt (more if desired)
-cracked pepper to taste
-1 can garbanzo beans (aka chick peas)
-rice for serving (jasmine rice is my favorite, but any long-grain rice will do)

Directions:

-Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or a pot
-Sautee the sliced onion, garlic, kale stems, and eggplant for 3-5 minutes
-Add the kale leaves and continue to sautee.  You may need to add them a bit at a time, and let them cook down to make room for the rest.
-Add the zatar and lemon juice, a few twists of cracked pepper, and salt, and continue to cook

                             

-Rinse the garbanzo beans and add to the pan.
-Add a bit of olive oil to moisten the mixture.  You want to have a bit of a sauce (just a bit).
-Continue to cook on low-medium to warm the beans, and mix everything together.
-Serve over rice.

Serves 6-8

1 comment:

  1. Now every time I use Zatar I think I will have to chant the National Anthem of Lebanon. Also, this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete