Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fresh Tong Ho Salad

We just returned from a week with our families and friends.  By the end of it, we had eaten so much meat it was disgusting (deliciously disgusting, but disgusting nonetheless).  So dinner tonight had to be vegetable-y, meatless, and fresh, to help us recover.

I went to the Asian market and picked up some tang ho.  I had no idea what it was, but it looked kind of like arugula, so I figured we'd find something to do with it.  I spent some time online when I got home trying to figure out what it was and whether it would be good eaten fresh.  Then I came to my senses and just tasted a leaf.  Yum!!!  It is now my new favorite salad green.  It is an edible chrysanthemum plant and is popular in Chinese hot pot, as I later discovered.

The leaves and stalks are fresh and delicious, but also dense enough to be a good dinner salad.  The taste reminded me a little of celery leaves, but not nearly as bitter. 

(this photo was found at http://teczcape.blogspot.com/2011/03/garland-chrysanthemum-tong-ho-or.html)

Along with the tang ho (also spelled tong ho), I bought some enoki mushrooms and a large red bell pepper.  These are the perfect ingredients for a fresh, filling salad.

Matt suggested using a classic Syrian dressing with it.  Syrian dressing is basically oil, lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Syrian salad has mint in the greens as well, and I figured the mint would accent the fresh flavor of the Tong Ho.  (I think it turned out beautifully).  So this is a Chinese-Syrian fusion salad.

I got fresh mint leaves from our potted herb garden (about 2 tbsp packed), and tore them into the salad. (During the winter time, I use powdered mint, or dried mint)

Then mixed together the dressing, poured it on top, and voila!  Salad.


Ingredients:

Salad:
1 lb. Tong Ho Greens (leaves and stalks)
1 package Enoki Mushrooms
1 large (or 2 small) Red Bell Pepper(s)
1 tbsp packed Fresh Mint Leaves (or one tsp mint powder or dried mint, crushed)

Dressing:
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground is best)
2 cloves Garlic, minced

Directions:

Chop the greens, mushrooms, and bell pepper into 1-2 inch pieces.  The enoki will look something like cheese.  Tear the mint leaves over the salad, or sprinkle the dry mint over the salad.
Mix the dressing ingredients.  Pour into the salad.  Toss and eat.

Note: This salad does not keep its flavor very well overnight, so I advise eating it all in one evening.  We had leftovers and I tasted them this morning.  Edible, but not preferable.

This recipe is vegan, paleo-friendly, and gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment