Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Power Breakfast

Power Breakfast: Baked Sweet Potato, Topped with an Egg

Ok, this is my very own invention, and it has become Matt's favorite breakfast.  It has a ton of vitamins and protein and is very filling, so plan on a late lunch when you have this for breakfast.  We also like it for brunch, lunch, and dinner.

It does take about an hour to cook, so you might need to get up early to stick it in the oven.  Or bake the potatoes a day or two before, and just warm them before serving with the egg.  OR - newest method to me -- stick 'em in a crockpot overnight.  They'll be VERY cooked but it does the job.

This recipe is paleo-friendly, gluten free, and sort of vegetarian (if you consider eggs vegetarian).

Ingredients:

Whole sweet potato
Eggs
1/2 tbsp butter
Olive oil
Steak seasoning
Extra salt and pepper for eggs, if desired

Directions:

Stab holes in the sweet potato(s) with a knife.  Try to get deep in there.  I try to put at least 8 deep holes to speed up the cooking process.

Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and place directly on oven rack, in the middle of the oven.
Set oven temperature to 400 deg. F. and let them cook for about an hour.
When you can slide a knife into them easily, they are ready.

Towards the end of the hour, melt the butter in a small skillet and cook the desired number of eggs however you like.  Matt loves them over easy, I like them over medium, and my sister likes hers scrambled.

Unwrap the potatoes and put on plates.  Slice open wide.
Drizzle olive oil, and sprinkle steak seasoning on top.  Top with the egg(s) and more seasoning!

And eat up!



3 comments:

  1. Love! Can you put the sweet 'tators in the microwave? I know they would cook longer than regualr potatos, but maybe that would be a quicker alternative than baking them in the oven?

    I am going to have to try this this week. Also, I am trying a new way of making cold brew...it is super easy!!! I think a tall glass of cold brew and this in the morning will be just what I need if I keep having to work 14hr days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely you can microwave the tators! haha. I would totally do that if I had a microwave.
      Can't wait to hear about a super easy way of doing cold brew! That does sound good.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete