Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cold Remedy #2: Hot Toddy

I am not an alcoholic...unless I'm sick.  Matt says it suppresses the immune system.  Sometimes I care about that.  But it makes me feel so much better to drown my sickness in bourbon.
*Caution: must drink lots of water as well so you don't dry out.

Uh oh, did I just promote alcoholism?  Oops.  Well, I am a law student.

And if you can't stay home and drink in the comfort of your bed, I find that half a shot of bourbon in the morning removes unwanted phlegm (for a little while anyway).  I haven't yet stooped to carrying some in a flask at school.

We vary our hot toddy recipe depending on what we feel like drinking, and how much bourbon we can afford to buy, so think of this as guidelines for making your own.


Our Favorite Toddy:

3 oz. bourbon
3 oz. boiling water
1/2 tbsp honey
1 sprig fresh mint leaves - from the garden :)  OR mint tea bag (steep in hot water)

We also liked chamomile tea, with added mint leaves, if you have that on hand.  With the bourbon and honey (and lemon, on occasion).

Typical Toddy:

2 oz. bourbon (as good as you can afford - the cheap 4 roses is quite suitable, I find)
1 tbsp honey
4 oz. boiling hot water
juice of half a lemon (I found the lemon irritated my throat after a day or two, so I now prefer to leave it out)

OR (If you have a microwave)
As much bourbon as you can stand
With a tbsp of honey
squeeze of lemon
OR a sprig of fresh mint (this is the route I would go)

So when you feel a cold coming on, here's your new grocery list: kleenex, generic daytime and nighttime cold medicine, bourbon, tea, honey, and lemons (if you want to go that route).

Drink up and feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment