Sunday, September 23, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies - Healthified.

I found a recipe for whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, because I wanted less guilt associated with the cookies I was about to devour.
And I found a way to make them even less guilty :)

There's still chocolate and sugar and calories in them, but hey, as cookies go, I'd say we're doing pretty well.

The original recipe can be viewed at http://www.adashofsass.com/2009/02/10/whole-wheat-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/.

Overall, I substituted coconut oil for butter and cut down the sugar by half.  They turned out perfectly, and very rich - so try to have some milk on hand to drink with them.  I also left out the milk, so these are almost vegan (Except for the chocolate chips).

Dealing with coconut oil instead of butter gives a great flavor to the cookies, and makes putting the batter together super quick.

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup coconut oil (coconut oil is solid at room temperature.  I suggest you heat it up.  I keep mine on my gas stove, so the warmth from the pilot light keeps it in its liquid state).
-1 egg
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-dash of nutmeg (optional)
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1 cup uncooked oats
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (or 3/4 cup if you have it and want more chocolate)
-1/4 cup nuts (optional) - betty crocker recommended walnuts.  I used some sunflower seeds.

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 deg. F
-Cream together the brown sugar and the coconut oil.
-Add the egg and vanilla.  Cream until smooth.
-Add the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and baking powder.  Stir until incorporated.
-Stir in the cup of whole wheat flour.
-Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and nuts (if using).
-Grease a cookie sheet with butter.
-Using a small scoop or spoon, drop rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
-Bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden around edges.

They will be soft and chewy.  Coconut oil was born to be in cookies. :)
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. oooh! I have yet another use for my lovely smelling and delicious coconu oil now!!! can't wait to make these. I have been promising Grant monster cookies and I think this would be a great base for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing. I'm going to make it with GF flour to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it took so long to respond! Let me know how it works out with the GF flour! I would be very curious to know what you think.

    ReplyDelete